Compress Your Energy Costs through IVR Variable Speed Compressors

 

Buying a new compressor is a large investment for any sized company.

 

A compressor’s initial cost is very low when compared to its life cycle; Energy Costs Pie Graphapproximately 73% of the total expenditure is derived from power and energy costs. The remaining 27% is divided between capital costs, installation and maintenance (see diagram).

 

If you are thinking of investing in a new compressor, smart savings can be made through minimising power consumption. You will experience huge savings by replacing your conventional load/unload compressor with a frequency driven variable speed compressor (IVR). A frequency driven compressor adapts itself to the production’s air requirements, saving on average 25-35% in electrical costs!

 

 

What is Variable Speed Technology and How Does It Work?

Variable speed systems work by connecting a motor control drive to the compressor and then connecting the line input power from the utility to the drive. The drive uses frequency modulation to adjust the power output of the compressor motor enabling it to speed up or slow down according to the heating or cooling load. This ability to modulate compressor capacity enables many of the advantages of variable speed technology including improved efficiency and comfort.

 

 

Advantages of IVR Variable Speed Compressors

 

1 – A reduced carbon footprint and lower overall costs

When purchasing a compressor, it is important to realise that your biggest cost over the lifecycle of a compressor is the operational cost. This is on average 3.5 times higher than the purchasing price. Our range of frequency-driven IVR compressors allows for an average reduction of 30% on electricity cost compared to conventional load/unload compressors. This way you can also benefit from reduced carbon dioxide emissions.

 

2 – An excellent return on investment

When investing in a new IVR compressor, the initial purchasing price amounts to only about a fifth of the full lifecycle cost. This means that your main focus when it comes to cost reduction should be on where the greatest savings can be achieved, namely the operational cost. With operational costs on average 30% lower, these variable speed compressors have an average payback time of no more than two years.

 

3 – Lower maintenance costs

The advantages of IVR variable speed compressors are great and plentiful. Because the compressor adjusts to the actual air demand, there is a reduction in the overall working pressure, which is also less straining on the compressor.

As a result, the overall maintenance cost is lower and the lifespan of the compressor is longer.

 

 

So How Much Can You Save?

An experienced Nessco Pressure Systems representative can conduct an evaluation of your current set-up, and based on his calculations, will provide recommendations on how to optimise your energy consumption and the efficiency of your compressors. As a result, you can reduce your costs, as well as your impact on the environment.

 

Call us on 1300 290 638 for more information!

 

View our Ceccato IVR Range Here.

 

 

Compress Your Energy Costs through Reducing Leaks

 

Air can often be viewed as an unlimited resource with no associated costs. During Energy Costs Pie Graphan average compressor’s lifetime of around 10 years, the cost of compressed air is roughly divided up as 73% energy costs. The remaining 27% is divided between capital costs, installation and maintenance (see diagram).

 

In reality, producing 1 kW of compressed air requires 8 kW of electricity. So, if you’re not evaluating the energy performance of your system, you are potentially converting your money into thin air.

 

There are a number of ways to measure your system’s efficiency; one way is evaluating your overall system design. In particular, investigating any pressure drops. Pressure drop refers to the drop in pressure between the compressor and end users. If you have a large pressure drop present, your system could prove to be very inefficient.

 

To compensate for any large pressure drop in your system, your compressor has to work over time to supply the required air pressure. In fact, for every 10 psi in excess pressure your system produces, results in a 5% increase in power cost. Not only can an overworked compressor hurt your back pocket, but it can damage your equipment and increase the chance of leakage.

 

Leaks can waste up to 50% of the compressed air produced by the compressor in a typical industrial plant that is not well maintained.

 

But the expense doesn’t stop there; because leaks cause a drop in system pressure, air tools don’t work, adversely affecting production. Leaks also shorten the life of most equipment in a system (including the compressor itself), as leaks force the compressor to cycle more regularly. This means more maintenance, resulting in unscheduled downtime.

 

Table

 

The above table lists the estimated amount of air leaking from a system (operating at a pressure of 700kPa for 2000 hours per year), the energy wasted, and its cost for an electricity tariff of 10c/kWh. Analysing one of the results in the table as an example, if the sum of all leaks is equivalent to a hole of 12.7mm diameter, 204.8 l/s of air is lost, wasting 136,192kWh of energy each year at a cost of $13,619

 

 

While leaks occur almost anywhere in the system, the most likely sources of the problem are:

 

1 – Couplings, hoses, tubes and fittings

2 – Pressure regulators

3 – Open condensate traps and shut-off valves; and

4 – Pipe joints, disconnects and thread sealants

 

Apart from listening for leaks, which can be deceptively unreliable in a noisy environment, there are two key ways to find compressed air leaks. The simplest is to brush soapy water on suspect areas and look for bubbling. This method is cheap but can be extremely time-consuming.

 

The best way to detect a leak is to use an ultrasonic acoustic detector to recognise the high-frequency hiss of escaping air. These portable devices consist of directional microphones, amplifiers and audio filters, and usually, have either earphones or visual indicators to detect leaks. This means that they can operate in noisy plant environments, so equipment does not have to be turned off.

 

When it comes to fixing leaks, however, nothing beats a comprehensive leak prevention program with identification, tracking, repair and verification.

 

To ensure you are not spending more than you need to, our experienced service technicians can perform an efficiency audit on your system. Our audit involves a comprehensive report, with recommendations for a scope of work to improve your running costs. Call us on 1300 290 638 for more information!

 

Book Your Air Audit Today